That is until now. The statistics blog at Stattler.com did some research on this very topic of R and Ubuntu. They found a plugin for R with the text editor Gedit that works wonders. The plugin is called Rgedit and is very easy to install. Stattler offers a simple instruction for installation. Also Stattler has a great review of the Rgedit plugin. Rgedit is very similar in layout to usual gedit text editor except it splits the panes of the screen for code and R output.
Some of the highlights of the Rgedit plugin include:
- Split screen of panes and can be turned on and off
- Syntax highlighting specific to the R code
- Single line or batch processing of R scripts
- Multiple R workspaces can be run
- Shortcut keys can be created and customized